Landscapes can make all the difference in any home, depending on how you construct it, where you plan to have it, what colour you want it, what flowers you plant, and what design you adopt. However, some basic rules and principles must be considered in constructing a landscape design for your home.
Whether you’re planning to get design inspiration from one or more sources or create a unique design, there are 8 basic principles of landscaping you must get familiar with before you embark on these designs.
One of the advantages is that getting familiar with landscape design basic principles will aid your creativity and make your process a lot smoother. It can also help you build new ideas and create something extraordinary out of the ordinary.
What makes landscape designs like pool landscaping in Brisbane great, is up to the designer. Depending on what you hope to achieve, only you can tell how incredible your landscape is. However, eight foundational principles help ensure that your landscape design doesn’t only look good but also has a balance of aesthetics and functionality.
The eight basic principles of landscape design include:
- Unity: Unity is a foundational principle of your design. Things that make your design come together in unity, include repetition of certain elements and consistency in applying other aspects. Some of these elements include the plant type, the paint colour used, and the type of brick or pathway design. Repeating some of these elements give your landscape a unified appearance. It makes it look elegant and well thought out. Consistency helps create a theme and general unit by combining varying elements into an appropriate environment. With consistency, your landscape doesn’t only look elegant. It makes working on it and maintaining it easier when it’s not consistent.
- Balance: Balance is a sense of equal quality in your overall design. Regarding landscape, there are two significant types of balance; The symmetrical balance, where two sides of your landscape design are identical in colour, width, and shape. The second is asymmetrical balance; this means the landscape composition is equal, but this equality is achieved using different elements that carry the same weight and physical value. An example of asymmetrically will be flowers on one side and a fountain on the other. They are both attention-grabbing and will create a balanced outlook on the whole landscape.
- Contrast: While designing your landscape, there are certain “wow” elements that you might like to draw special attention to, and the best way to achieve that is through contrast. In contrast, every element is well composed as part of the general unity of the entire landscape. Harmonizing contrast can be achieved by juxtaposing two different pieces with one other. For example, plant a wildflower in the middle of mellow ones or paint two different colours near each other. You can also use other tools like contrasting textures or elements. Contrasts are a great way to achieve a balanced harmony in your landscape design. It is an essential principle for everyone, whether a professional or a newbie.
- Colour: Colour adds life and vibrancy to your landscape design. While a lot of people tend to go for white or neutral colours when creating theirs, there’s nothing that stops you from exploring other colours. Although it is better to stick to warm colours, you can also use a dash of bright or bold colour here and there to create contrast and draw attention to some aspects of your landscape. Another way colour plays a significant role in your choice of flower. Be creative when choosing your flowers. Pick them in different colours and shades. This makes your landscape exciting and completely beautiful.
- Transition: Transition can be described as a measured change. For a landscape design, the transition can be achieved when your plants go through the natural growth process, from budding to blooming. You must be on top of each different phase to ensure that your landscape still looks elegant and beautiful regardless of the stage.
- Line: If you design or build a landscape that will look good or beautiful in any way, then you cannot ignore the usefulness of line in your design. Lines are used everywhere and in everything that has to do with landscape, including making plant beds, creating an entrance, exit and walkways, adding texture, etc. Lines can also help add illusions of depth to your design and make it look a lot more spacious than it is.
- Proportion: In any design work, whether a home, a digital product, or a landscape design, proportion is a mother tool that must be incorporated in every aspect. Proportion is basically how the size of one element relates to another. Proportion might not come as easy as picking colors or choosing plants, it requires a little more thoughtfulness and calculations than other elements, but it must be used appropriately. All the elements in your design must have the correct proportion for the overall result to look fantastic.
- Repetition: Repetition is a component of unity. One of the ways to make your landscape design look excellent and elegant is to have some elements repeated in different parts of the landscape. It can even make it look professionally designed if done correctly. While some people prefer to express their artsy side differently by adding different elements, too many things can make your design look tacky and cluttered. However, repetition only makes sense when the feature is repeated only a few times. Too much reuse of one element can make your entire landscape look dull and uninteresting to look at or be in. No one wants to have a boring, monotonous landscape.
Every principle on this list is essential to your landscaping in Brisbane Northside. Understanding them and utilizing their effects to the maximum can make your landscape stand out anywhere. However, knowing how and when to use each principle is equally important. Appropriately applying each principle might require research, planning, and testing before arriving at the best result.
Designing and building your landscape is a way to express your innate creativity, so when something feels good to you, don’t be too afraid to try it. You can bend the rules a little as long as you are satisfied with the result. Landscape by A & K offers professional landscaping services in Brisbane that can help design, build and maintain your landscape for the best possible outcome.